DIY Projects You Can Make with Cedar Shakes After a Cedar Roof Repair
Learn the art of up-cycling and keep these DIY projects you can make with old cedar shakes the next time you avail of a cedar shake repair.
There will come a time when you’ll have to get a cedar shake repair to resolve any damages and issues your roof may have incurred over the years. Some of your cedar shakes might just need an extra coating or finish, but others might no longer be suitable for your roof and thus need to be replaced with new shakes.
But don’t be too quick to throw out any shakes that have been removed – there are ways that you can still make use of them.
- Planter Box – Sure, your cedar shakes might no longer be ideal for use as roofing, but they are still more than perfect for planter boxes. Cedar shakes can be used to fashion organic and stylish looking planter boxes of nearly any size, and make the perfect decorative addition to any lawn. Simply take a few cedar shakes to use as sidings for a planter box and nail them against longer wooden pieces for support. Don’t forget to apply a coat of varnish or anti-fungal finish to keep it looking clean and new for many years to come.
Cedar Shake Planter Boxes!
- Dog House Roofing – A dog house’s roof doesn’t need to be quite as sturdy as the roof of your property and only really needs to be able to provide shade and protection against the rain. Using your cedar shakes to create the same roofing appearance on your dog house can make for a very decorative and functional upgrade to your furry friend’s refuge.
Cedar Shake Dog House
- Frames – Old, aged cedar wood can look very appealing, adding a touch of character to any photo or painting. To turn cedar shakes into a frame, simply lay them around to the shape of a photo for bigger images, or cut out a small section for smaller pictures. Secure a thin wooden backing to support the photo and attach a hook on the back for hanging on the wall.
- Furniture – Yes, there are some who have gone the extra mile to create more than just decorative pieces out of their cedar shakes. There are lots of different chair designs you can follow to turn your cedar shakes into a brand new piece of furniture, but the most common are those that are used for dining sets. A cedar wood chair made from old cedar wood shakes can be very aesthetically appealing, especially when used in combination with more modern looking pieces, making a very fitting and interesting interior design combination.
- Mail Box – A mail box can be a simple yet satisfying DIY project, and one made from old cedar wood just might brighten up your front lawn. Be sure to use the right metal hinges and locks to ensure the safety of your mail and choose pieces that fit better together for a tighter seal and a more secure structure. Be sure to read our cedar roofing reviews online!
Cedar Shake Mailbox!