Prepping Your Roof and Gutters for Winter
Looking for roof damage
On your Chicago roof there will be areas that need to be checked frequently for wind damage, it’s usually important to check your roofing system and gutters before our traditionally cold winter season sets in. So, what do you look for when inspecting these products?
You must inspect the following:
- – Look for any loose or missing shingles and change them.
- – If you stay in a location that gets the occasional hail storm, inspect your roof and gutter systems for dents and damage like little tears and holes. Contact your insurance coverage company for support in changing these destroyed shingles.
- – Check the flashing around the chimneys or other roof estimates, which avoids melting ice and snow (or rain) from getting into your home.
- – Include some extra insulation to your attic or upper crawlspace. This insulation will prevent the formation of ice dams on the roof.
- – Clean the leaves and debris from your gutter systems; make use of a hose to wash the gutter systems and send out water through the downspouts. You may have to use a chimney or pipe-cleaning brush to further clear the downspouts. Rake up and remove any debris that you get rid of from the spouts or the rain
- – Set up leaf guards on the gutters to prevent more falling leaves from collecting and undoing your effort.
- – Add extensions to your spouts to send the melting ice and snow farther away from the base of your house.
- – Check the attic, upper crawlspace, or upstairs ceilings for spots and possible leakages. If you discover any areas that look suspicious, examine them once more right after a rainstorm. If they feel moist, call a professional roofing contractor or immediately repair the leaking location.
Note: If your roof is more than 15 years of ages, you might consider replacing all or part of it. Older roofing systems are expensive to replace, but the damage that a leaking roofing might cause can be way more pricey.
Here are a few more articles we are recommending for you.
Are you in need of a repair or replacement?
Are you a previous client of ours? We would LOVE to hear your feedback!
Read some of our latest reviews online: