28 December 2015,
Comments: Comments Off on Winter Storm Warning for DuPage, Will, Grundy Counties, IL 12-28-15
Winter Storm Warning for DuPage, Will, Grundy Counties, IL 12-28-15
Significant winds and icing today.
Winter Storm Warning now in effect until 3 PM CST this afternoon.
Timing: this morning and likely lingering into early afternoon.
Main impact: sleet and freezing rain will begin by Sunrise with potentially significant ice accumulations Up to a quarter of an inch.
Other impacts: Very Strong winds will develop and could result in power outages where any ice has accumulated on trees and power lines.
A Winter Storm Warning means significant amounts of sleet and ice are expected. Strong winds are likely. This will make travel very hazardous or impossible.
Tips from ready.gov
– Before winter approaches, add the following supplies to your emergency kit:
– Rock salt or more environmentally safe products to melt ice on walkways. Visit the Environmental Protection Agency for a complete list of recommended products.
– Sand to improve traction.
– Snow shovels and other snow removal equipment.
– Sufficient heating fuel. You may become isolated in your home and regular fuel sources may be cut off. Store a good supply of dry, seasoned wood for your fireplace or wood-burning stove.
– Adequate clothing and blankets to keep you warm.
– Avoid overexertion when shoveling snow. Overexertion can bring on a heart attack – a major cause of death in the winter. If you must shovel snow, stretch before going outside.
– Keep dry. Change wet clothing frequently to prevent a loss of body heat. Wet clothing loses all of its insulating value and transmits heat rapidly.
– Watch for signs of frostbite. These include loss of feeling and white or pale appearance in extremities such as fingers, toes, ear lobes, and the tip of the nose. If symptoms are detected, get medical help immediately.
– Conserve fuel, if necessary, by keeping your residence cooler than normal. Temporarily close off heat to some rooms.